Sunday, February 11, 2007

Well I never said I would be prompt and daily

Seems the blog isn't' being kept up to date as I originally hoped for. I blame life for such things. There's the daily job that can really suck the energy out of you, then the nightly chores upon returning home. It does seem as though work has played a big part in it, although the happenings there can be blog worthy.

For instance I have this 57 year old guy that I work with that lacks the confidence in himself to do his job so he's always asking me to check this or that. I call it avoiding responsibility for ones actions. Yet he likes to call me and the other guy little names like "Gravy" or "Gravy train", trying to insinuate that our jobs are easy and the money just flows in. Normally I let shit like that roll off but he's about to learn that it takes 2 cups of coffee for me to fully wake up and not to call me that first thing in the morning. I'll start throwing shit at him. But things like that and some management decisions have shown me that I'm the only employee that assumes more risk on the work I do than anyone else working there. I rebuild transmissions. If 1 thing is out of place, sticky, or malfunctions, its on me to fix it, at least labor wise. Well it sucks to find that the faulty item is not something I was able to know before hand only to find out that I'm screwed for the lost time. For instance back in November I overhauled this 2002 Mercury Mountaineer. It was a first for me as I've never seen this model of transmission before (BTW there are well over 3000 different models and sub models of transmissions), and while I knew where to look for the worn case I could not detect anything abnormal.

Well somethings you just have to believe they are bad and fix it and I should have. But... a month later the truck is back with a slipping problem. We have to order a tool and bushing set to repair the case so the service manager told the vehicle owner to go ahead and drive it and we'll call you when the tool comes in. A month after that the truck is in with a complaint of it won't move. The bad part has snowballed into attempted arson of the inside of this transmission. Only then was I approached to be asked how do we order this tool? Umm off the paper I gave you a month ago. So end result is I spent about 2 days of labor, while I was covered up with paying work, lost to repair more damage than was necessary. Then payday comes about and I get told what amounts to a slap in the face. "you didn't get paid on that mountaineer, I know it wasn't your fault. We'll make it up to you next payday". Yeah right.

So you may think well find another job. And maybe that could be the future, but right now I fell trapped between demands of providing for my family and avoiding getting screwed at work. I'll own up to my mistakes when I make them, and usually they are clear and apparent real quick. So I see perhaps a talk is in order, with a better understanding on where my responsibility ends.

OK I'm cutting it off here before it gets me pissed all over again. It's bad enough I have to feel that way at work.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hear ya James - sometimes no matter how hard ya try on a job, your boss underappreciates what ya do even tho you prolly work the hardest of those there - retail is just as bad - I put up with shite out of the customers but had to smile and keep going despite wanting to kick their ass and put up with shite outta the boss too who was such a flake she shoulda had her pic on the box o Frosted Flakes - but when all is said and done, you get the money finally and go hells yah I earned this by gods - we may have had to put up with crap but who ends up the better for it? ;)

What does not kill us will only make us stronger (cheesy I know but its true lol)