Well I just caught a bit of the State of the Union address. I'm reminded by a History Channel series that was on a couple of years ago regarding the best US President ever. It was a vote left up to the people, those that could call in or vote online, and the final vote showed that the people thought Ronald Reagan was the best US President. I'm sure that much of the influence of votes came from peoples memory and that of their parents. What surprised me was that Abraham Lincoln wasn't first or second, but third place. The reason I suppose is that Abe lived too far back in history and the second place finisher, George Washington, well everyone knows he was almost godlike. Because our schools and money have said so. Think about the $1 bill. Its the most commonly handled denomitaion of currency, so there's Georges likeness. Not that its a bad thing, I'm just saying most people don't realize what it is that Lincoln did for the US.
As the end of the Civil War was in sight, Lincoln gave an order to his generals. The north, tired of a long fight in a war they did not start, was eager to punish the people of the south. But Lincoln looking into the future realized that punishing the south would do nothing more than prime the country for another war at a later date. So in a speech, he was a great speaker and writer, he ordered his generals to start collecting weapons from the rebel forces and offer them amnesty if they agreed to never again take arms up against the Union. "We must welcome our brother back into the fold", he said. This simple command and act is what has kept the US together since.
This act alone is what I believe makes Lincoln the greatest president ever. He took a country that was at war with itself and set the path to reconstruction, to forgive the southern soldiers. Really the only person that received any punishment at all, was Jefferson Davis, the President of the Confederate States, and his punishment? Exile. Something to think about, 4 years of war in which more Americans died than in all other wars combined and the only punishment sentenced out was to exile the man which led them. In doing so it kept the country together as those that were loyal followers of their State (which was a big thing back in those days) were not excessively punished.
I wonder if such a rational thinker could have a similar influence today, either here in the US or elsewhere. In a way I wonder if the new majority party of our government has enough fore site to not go ecstatic with power and get a 'it's payback time' attitude. I seem to recall that at the last change of power in 1994. If there's ever been a time for a Lincolnest attitude, its now. Lets welcome our brother back into the fold...
Tuesday, January 23, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment